Go back to 8hr clock and no timer in DC Leagues!

Steel Lugnuts

Go back to 8hr clock and no timer in DC Leagues!

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:36 pm

The current 4hr clock and suspend clock overnight is not working, the clock continues to run after 1am EST. This has happened the last two nights in my DC League, and nothing has been done to fix it. Plus, last year, these drafts have lasted longer than most of the 8-hr leagues because drafters know the draft will suspend overnight so they don't draft until the morning.

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Go back to 8hr clock and no timer in DC Leagues!

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 am

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:36 pm
The current 4hr clock and suspend clock overnight is not working, the clock continues to run after 1am EST. This has happened the last two nights in my DC League, and nothing has been done to fix it. Plus, last year, these drafts have lasted longer than most of the 8-hr leagues because drafters know the draft will suspend overnight so they don't draft until the morning.
Thanks for the feedback, but we are not returning to an 8-hour clock in our Draft Champions leagues. These DCs are NOT taking longer on average this year than last year and several owners make picks overnight despite the clock being paused. We see it all the time. All owners should be ready to draft when they are on the clock, but we also expect people to sleep at night, too.

Is the clock pausing from 2 am to 9 am ET? We will check with IT, but that sounds like what is happening, which is likely correct. In our posts we are announcing the wrong pause time. We'll confirm, but I suspect that is the case and the pause is correct.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 am

I like the new format, and I’m in my 25th $150 DC right now. Just a friendly reminder to all participants that judicious use of the Auto1 feature helps keep things moving. Instead of waiting til you get an email that you’re up, please try to check in a couple times per day. And when you’re within 1-6 picks, maybe set auto1? Heck, I’ve even set it when it’s 8-10 picks before me - especially in the first round or two.

I get it that sometimes you wanna see if there’s a position run before you decide which way to go, so you don’t wanna be on auto in the middle of a potential run. But that really doesn’t apply to most rounds, and again, less of an impact when you’re just a handful of picks away.

From what I’ve seen though, many drafters ARE using auto picks frequently. But there are some folks who seem to never use it, and drafts come to a screeching halt when they’re up. I know the new software shows “average time per pick” within each league. But when you’re already IN a league with a slow drafter, the damage is done. Would it be too impolite to post these average pick times in the slow draft signup threads, so others can decide if they’d rather avoid them?

Another approach that helps alleviate the frustration of a very slow draft is to simply join more drafts! :D I’ve pretty much been in 2-4 concurrent ones since April, and that sure helps keep my attention when one stalls a bit. :idea:

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:06 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:12 am
Steel Lugnuts wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:36 pm
Thanks for the feedback, but we are not returning to an 8-hour clock in our Draft Champions leagues. These DCs are NOT taking longer on average this year than last year and several owners make picks overnight despite the clock being paused. We see it all the time. All owners should be ready to draft when they are on the clock, but we also expect people to sleep at night, too.

Is the clock pausing from 2 am to 9 am ET? We will check with IT, but that sounds like what is happening, which is likely correct. In our posts we are announcing the wrong pause time. We'll confirm, but I suspect that is the case and the pause is correct.
As someone is is beginning their football DC prep and is looking to join their first DC of the season in the next couple of days, can someone confirm the times that the clock is supposed to pause each night and if there are currently any issues related to that? Thank you.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:07 am

Sandman62 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 am
I’m in my 25th $150 DC right now.
that's just sick :lol:

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:12 pm

"As someone is is beginning their football DC prep and is looking to join their first DC of the season in the next couple of days, can someone confirm the times that the clock is supposed to pause each night and if there are currently any issues related to that? Thank you."

The clock is supposed to pause from 1am - 8am EST, hasn't worked to well in my league as of yet, but haven't seen anyone else mention it's not working for them...I'll post later, hopefully it works correctly this time around.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 am
I like the new format, and I’m in my 25th $150 DC right now. Just a friendly reminder to all participants that judicious use of the Auto1 feature helps keep things moving. Instead of waiting til you get an email that you’re up, please try to check in a couple times per day. And when you’re within 1-6 picks, maybe set auto1? Heck, I’ve even set it when it’s 8-10 picks before me - especially in the first round or two.

I get it that sometimes you wanna see if there’s a position run before you decide which way to go, so you don’t wanna be on auto in the middle of a potential run. But that really doesn’t apply to most rounds, and again, less of an impact when you’re just a handful of picks away.

From what I’ve seen though, many drafters ARE using auto picks frequently. But there are some folks who seem to never use it, and drafts come to a screeching halt when they’re up. I know the new software shows “average time per pick” within each league. But when you’re already IN a league with a slow drafter, the damage is done. Would it be too impolite to post these average pick times in the slow draft signup threads, so others can decide if they’d rather avoid them?

Another approach that helps alleviate the frustration of a very slow draft is to simply join more drafts! :D I’ve pretty much been in 2-4 concurrent ones since April, and that sure helps keep my attention when one stalls a bit. :idea:
Nice post Michael, I see you are on Auto in my league! :) 25th DC? It will be interesting to see your strategy, I would imagine you've already tried every different possible drafting strategy by now...and it's only July 21st.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Thanks Steel. Yes, I’ve tried many strategies including ZeroRB, heavy-RB, loading up on rookies, best player available, early-QB (or late), same for TEs. I’m trying to look at my DCs as a “portfolio”, so diversifying makes sense to me. Of course, I do also have my man-crush players, some of which I have 20-25% exposure to.

It’s been interesting these past few months watching ADPs evolve. The rookie RBs have already moved up a couple rounds, as have some vets - and training camps are just starting! Wait til we see some inevitable breakout plays in preseason and more players will vault up the draft board. With some luck, maybe some of my players will even benefit from that. We shall see.

-Mike

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:56 pm

I only do a few leagues, but I always try and diversify.

One thing is for sure, you can root for every player and a lot of scoring once the season starts! :lol:

Soooooo, what strategy are you using in our DC league? :D

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:03 pm

Steel Lugnuts wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:56 pm
Soooooo, what strategy are you using in our DC league? :D
In this one, I’m going with a “Poach players from the guy right next to me” approach! :lol: