Keeper League Discussion

eliasond

Keeper League Discussion

Post by eliasond » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:42 am

There was the start of a good discussion this morning in the Contest Lobby chat room, so I am going to copy it here to generate some more discussion from Keeper League members.

Gregg Sturtevant4/8 8:56 AM CTI'm trying to Understand the keeper rules and they aren't making sense to me. the system will allow me to keep all of my first three picks from last year. However If I want to keep my 4th pick I can only keep 1 of my first three picks. Is there a glitch in the system?

Greg Ambrosius (NFC ADMIN)4/8 9:23 AM CTGregg, we set up the rule to not punish someone who killed it in the first three rounds. So if you want to keep your 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks from last year you can keep them as your 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks from this year. We aren't punishing you for having an excellent draft.

Greg Ambrosius (NFC ADMIN)4/8 9:24 AM CTBut everyone else after that moves up 2 rounds from last year's draft spot. That's how Keeper Leagues work. So no, your 4th round pick last year would be 2nd round this year. 5th round, 3rd round this year. Make tough decisions and keep what you can under those rules.

Greg Ambrosius (NFC ADMIN)4/8 9:24 AM CTAnd you can't keep a combination of 1st and 3rd, but not 2nd round pick from last year. Make tough decisions. We just don't want to punish someone who killed it in the 1st three rounds and would be forced to dump two of those players.

Gregg Sturtevant4/8 9:40 AM CTOk...I'm going to give you my first 4 picks from last year to better explain this, 1. McCaffery, 2. Lamb, 3 Pitt, 4. Jamaar Chase. I did kill it in the first 3 rounds. Obviously I'm keeping Chase. If I do that the system will only allow me to keep 1 of my top 3. Maybe that's just the say it is but I wanted to make sure this is how its supposed to work because it does feel like I'm being penalized for having a good draft.

Greg Ambrosius (NFC ADMIN)4/8 10:11 AM CTThat's the way it is. You either keep all 3 and not Chase or Chase and one more as your 1st round pick. Then you're keeping one of them as your 1st and Chase as your second. you're off to a great start.

Daren Eliason4/8 10:36 AM CTThat's not good, Greg. So you're not going to punish someone who killed it in the 1st 3 rounds, but you ARE going to punish someone who killed it in the 1st 4 rounds by limiting their keeper choices. If you keep #1 great. Then if you keep #3 you lose your 2nd round, then if you keep #4 you lose your 3rd round. Should be as simple as that.

Anybody else with any thoughts on this topic?
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
3-Time Las Vegas Auction League Champion (2004,2009,2015)
2-time Live Las Vegas Classic League Champion

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Keeper League Discussion

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:56 am

Yes, Keeper Leagues aren't meant to be easy. You are keeping 5 guys. We could easily say every player you want to keep is +2 rounds and be done with it. That would be easy.

Under that scenario, you'd only be allowed to keep one of your first three picks. Do you want that? We can change the rules to that.

Or we can allow you to keep all three as your 2022 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks, but you can't pick and choose. And if you do that, then obviously you can't keep your 4th or 5th round picks because you don't have spots for them at +2.

Keeper Leagues involve tough decisions and the bargain keepers are usually in the later rounds. But again we don't want to punish someone who killed it in the first three rounds and can only keep one of those players. So we're giving you a choice. Tough choices. Now you make them.

As for the Keeper deadline this year, I will email returning players to see if they want to set KDS choices this year before selecting their keeper choices. That was a suggestion you made last year and it makes sense. And maybe we'll make those deadlines later this year. I'll send out the email this week. Enjoy and I'm all for the feedback on this topic.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:40 am

It seems like it would be a lot more fun to just offer dynasty.....just saying:)

Wayne

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:28 am

I see the keeper deadline has been set at July 1 at 11:00 pm. I think this question was asked and answered last year, but can we set our keepers now and change them as many times as we like before the deadline, similar to Set Lineup decisions? Or is it locked in/frozen once we set them the 1st time? It would be useful to be able to change it a few times as we debate options, or if someone gets hurt between now and then, so I hope that's the answer.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:32 pm

Bump to see if anyone can answer my question.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:39 am

eliasond wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:28 am
I see the keeper deadline has been set at July 1 at 11:00 pm. I think this question was asked and answered last year, but can we set our keepers now and change them as many times as we like before the deadline, similar to Set Lineup decisions? Or is it locked in/frozen once we set them the 1st time? It would be useful to be able to change it a few times as we debate options, or if someone gets hurt between now and then, so I hope that's the answer.
So KDS deadline is July 1st Daren and then the Keepers deadline is July 15th. We changed the software this year to allow you to make multiple Keeper changes before lineups lock on July 15th. Enjoy and good luck.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

YAJ2112

Post by YAJ2112 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:24 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:39 am
eliasond wrote:
So KDS deadline is July 1st Daren and then the Keepers deadline is July 15th. We changed the software this year to allow you to make multiple Keeper changes before lineups lock on July 15th. Enjoy and good luck.
Now that KDS has run, where do we go to set Keepers? I think it might be disabled currently.

YAJ2112

Post by YAJ2112 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:17 pm

YAJ2112 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:24 pm
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:39 am
eliasond wrote:
Now that KDS has run, where do we go to set Keepers? I think it might be disabled currently.
Darik helped get it fixed. Thanks!

eliasond

Post by eliasond » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:01 pm

Posting an idea for a rule change for which keepers are allowed to be kept in the NFFC keeper leagues.

Potential rule change -- you can keep any 5 players you want and they do move up 2 rds from previous year but if that rd is already accounted for you just lose the next rd available in sequence.

So you could keep last year's 1-2-4-5-7 if you want and you would simply lose your first 5 rds this year in that example. That way you're not penalizing that owner for a great 1st 7 rounds, but yet he's got to pay for those keepers with his first 5 rds next year. Seems fair and an easier rule to understand for me and the masses than the way it's written currently.

I bet this way would be easier for IT to program too I bet than the specific exception for exactly the 1st 3 rounds that has created problems today for me and my current keeper league.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member

lumpy463

Post by lumpy463 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:12 pm

New to Keeper League format this year.
Took over an orphaned team.
I only have 17 draft picks available.
To get to roster of 20:
Do I pick from the remaining players after the draft?
Do I pick up free agents the first week before the season starts?
Some other way?
Derek "Lumpy" Anderson