NFFC Rules Changes Proposed For 2018; Let's Discuss

ChiTwn

Re: NFFC Rules Changes Proposed For 2018; Let's Discuss

Post by ChiTwn » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:09 pm

As Billy mentioned regarding 4th place getting cash in high stakes.

I agree it should only be the high stakes that make this change. Keep all other consolation prizes the same. Why not take a vote with all your high stakes players? Should be easy enough through survey monkey.

Honestly, I wasn't paying much attention to my consolation brackets. Just made sure I had active players.

Coyote Streakers

Post by Coyote Streakers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:21 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
Coyote Streakers wrote:Thursday Players: Please allow Thursday players that aren't started to be available to drop and Thursday players who are on waiver wire available for pickup Friday. These players should be available for pickup imo as everyone is on level playing field and got to watch their performance. If for some reason we can drop Thursday players that weren't started disregard earlier comment.
There's a difference: though everyone got to watch their performance, they were only on one fantasy team. So that team got to see one of their players play that week and can replace him before the Sunday games. So say that player got hurt in the Thursday game and that's why the owner wants to replace him. He gets to do that in this week's [Friday] waiver period, while everyone else - whose players get hurt on Sunday (the same week) - has to wait til next week.

For reference, here's the rule: (emphasis added)
10. Bidding Time Frame
Because of the NFL having Thursday Night Games every week this season, the NFFC will be hosting 2 FAAB periods each week. The first one will run every Wednesday after Week 1 at 10 pm ET, and a second FAAB period will run for unselected free agents from that week on Friday at 10 pm ET. Players dropped on Wednesday can’t be picked up on Friday and all NFL players competing in Thursday’s games can’t be picked up or waived on Friday. Those players are all LOCKED on Thursday and available in the next FAAB period on the following Wednesday.
Everyone has their own players they can do this with their 20 man roster. Its more of a penalty not to be able to drop a Thursday player more than anything. Everyone should be able to cut a player after Thursday if they did not play them. It can even be strategic watching that player in the Thursday game. Every player can be treated the same.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:02 am

I think I understand what you're saying: that everyone would have the same advantage because at some point in the season, at least one of their players would probably play on a Thurs. And for many of our bench players with secondary NFL roles, it probably wouldn't affect our Fri FAAB decisions.

But when someone gets hurt in a Thurs game or plays so poorly that they lose their job Fri morning or they had a great game, then the owner's decision of which player to drop in Fri's FAAB gets much easier - because they got to see him play that week's game already. Yet, everyone else whose players didn't play Thurs (the very same fantasy week) has to wait until Sun's games in order to have the same perspective of that week's players (missing the chance to drop that player in that week's Fri FAAB run).

Coyote Streakers

Post by Coyote Streakers » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Sandman62 wrote:I think I understand what you're saying: that everyone would have the same advantage because at some point in the season, at least one of their players would probably play on a Thurs. And for many of our bench players with secondary NFL roles, it probably wouldn't affect our Fri FAAB decisions.

But when someone gets hurt in a Thurs game or plays so poorly that they lose their job Fri morning or they had a great game, then the owner's decision of which player to drop in Fri's FAAB gets much easier - because they got to see him play that week's game already. Yet, everyone else whose players didn't play Thurs (the very same fantasy week) has to wait until Sun's games in order to have the same perspective of that week's players (missing the chance to drop that player in that week's Fri FAAB run).

Both sides have valid reasoning I just like the flexibility with the roster and not to be handcuffed unnecessarily imo. I can see both sides but would like the change.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Greg,

Any interest an adding dual flex positions behind two RBs, two WRs, and a TE. This help combat some injuries when you have extra depth at RB and TE rather than playing a weaker option at WR. It's also helpful in some bye weeks when six teams are off.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:41 pm

Some random thoughts.

1. Regarding preseason faab, I don't really care, but it should be just one run if so, like some have suggested. Wednesday before the season opens would make the most sense to me. Then you have to decide if we must draft a kicker and a defense etc in the early drafts as well.

2. I agree with Mike on the Thursday players being dropped. I hate being hamstrung. I welcome all opportunity to try to make my team better. This doesn't allow that to happen. The competition allows it. If we must continue to be hamstrung, at least allow for it Thanksgiving weekend when there are so many games. Should never have to drop a really good player to pick up an emergency player fill in on Friday just because you happened to have 6 or 7 guys play Thursday. Much more strategic game by doing away with this hamstringing all together.

3. I don't really care on the cutline if it is best ball or not. Probably won't signinficantly impact my amount of teams. I wonder if the gaps on the regular season scoring averages might get too big and cause them to be weighed too heavily? This may need to be looked at a little closer perhaps.

4. Can understand either side of the team kicker deal.

5. I don't care how the money is paid out in the big leagues all that much. The competition is go balanced and tough, I feel I have just as good a chance to get 4th as I do first and a damn good shot of being involved in the consolation race if there is one.

6. I think my best suggestion is this. It goes along with what Wayne was talking about. This would be only for the Online Championship. Cut the season to 12 weeks. 4 make it. Record points point points. Or perhaps move record to the 3 spot and go PPRP. Top 2 seeds, however it is determined, autobid to overall and each get 500 bucks. Assuming prizes were 1500 and 700 if memory serves that leaves 1200 for league playoffs. Have a 4 week race, with the 3-4 seeds needing to be in the top 2 after week 13(first week of league playoff race) to both stay in the league race and to move to the overall race with would still run 14-16. Then pay something like 800-400 for first and second in league race.

This sounds complicated and it could be simplified by way of head to head matches week 13, but the main point is that it will keep more teams alive longer. It will make week 13 very exciting in this contest, where now it seems like there is rarely much going on that is exciting and is often ruined by teams that quit, so this will take a week of major quitting out of play as well. There are many other ways to do this, I just tossed one out there. The point is, this game needs to be a little more interesting and fun for more people, for a longer period of time.

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 am

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:Some random thoughts.
2. I agree with Mike on the Thursday players being dropped. I hate being hamstrung. I welcome all opportunity to try to make my team better. This doesn't allow that to happen. The competition allows it. If we must continue to be hamstrung, at least allow for it Thanksgiving weekend when there are so many games. Should never have to drop a really good player to pick up an emergency player fill in on Friday just because you happened to have 6 or 7 guys play Thursday. Much more strategic game by doing away with this hamstringing all together.
I can see both sides of this too, and neither solution is 100% foolproof. So which scenario occurs more often?

1) Relevant Thurs: Player gets hurt in a Thurs game or plays so poorly that they lose their job and you want to drop him, or... they had a great game, so you'll keep him, even though maybe prior to this Thurs game, he'd have been your first choice to drop. This probably happens very infrequently. The damage is that you got to run two players through one roster (not lineup) spot in the same week. Though this just doesn't feel right, I admit that I can't really quantify the damage either; you kinda just got to "throw out some garbage" five days earlier than others.

OR

2) Irrelevant Thurs: Player has been sitting on your bench for months, waiting for his [obvious eventual! :P] breakout to stardom. I see what Chad and others are saying here, that if he hadn't played on Thurs, he very likely may have been your first choice to cut - and it's not your fault he happened to play this week on Thurs.

Though either of these could occur, I agree that it's probably more often that the information you glean from watching Thurs players is not relevant to your Fri FAAB decisions. So I humbly retract my suggestion to not allow dropping players on Fri who played on Thurs. ;)

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:54 pm

I also think in the contained leagues the four playoff teams should reset faab to 1 dollar each and you get one move, with tiebreaker going to highest point scorer on season on down and this goes on through week 16. Use it however you want. Block others from getting a guy, save it for insurance at a position etc. Lot of money on the line to have rash of injuries at a position decide things. Also rewards the best teams slightly as having the trump card.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:I also think in the contained leagues the four playoff teams should reset faab to 1 dollar each and you get one move, with tiebreaker going to highest point scorer on season on down and this goes on through week 16. Use it however you want. Block others from getting a guy, save it for insurance at a position etc. Lot of money on the line to have rash of injuries at a position decide things. Also rewards the best teams slightly as having the trump card.
Very good idea
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN

hammer

Post by hammer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:42 am

Sandman62 wrote:
Coyote Streakers wrote:Thursday Players: Please allow Thursday players that aren't started to be available to drop and Thursday players who are on waiver wire available for pickup Friday. These players should be available for pickup imo as everyone is on level playing field and got to watch their performance. If for some reason we can drop Thursday players that weren't started disregard earlier comment.
There's a difference: though everyone got to watch their performance, they were only on one fantasy team. So that team got to see one of their players play that week and can replace him before the Sunday games. So say that player got hurt in the Thursday game and that's why the owner wants to replace him. He gets to do that in this week's [Friday] waiver period, while everyone else - whose players get hurt on Sunday (the same week) - has to wait til next week.

There is no unfairness in this fact; there is no "uneven-ness" of the playing field in this example. The owner of said Thursday player had to pay the cost of drafting the guy or adding the guy in free agency; every owner in that league will have had the ability to do so... this dynamic is exactly similar to the draft or regular FAAB where owners make value judgements about the cost of player ownership.

I think allowing Thursday players to be dropped in Friday's waivers will make the NFFC better