NFFC Rules Changes Proposed For 2018; Let's Discuss

pjoner

Re: NFFC Rules Changes Proposed For 2018; Let's Discuss

Post by pjoner » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 am

The cutline change does interest me, have not joined up to this part as I cannot take on anymore weekly lineup submissions...

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:43 am

On a different note, I would like to see the high stakes leagues where 4 teams make the playoffs (auctions, Supers, Ultimates, etc.) where you currently have a consolation prize, have the consolation amount go to the 4TH PLACE TEAM.

Not sure why someone who DIDN'T make the playoffs in a 12 team league should make more than someone who did??? (the main event consolations are different)

ChiTwn

Post by ChiTwn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:11 pm

BillyWaz wrote:On a different note, I would like to see the high stakes leagues where 4 teams make the playoffs (auctions, Supers, Ultimates, etc.) where you currently have a consolation prize, have the consolation amount go to the 4TH PLACE TEAM.

Not sure why someone who DIDN'T make the playoffs in a 12 team league should make more than someone who did??? (the main event consolations are different)
Agree with this a 1000% percent.

Honestly, I would be onboard if there was no consolation bracket in the high stakes leagues. Have the prize go to 4th place.

Coltsfan

Post by Coltsfan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:57 pm

I would like to throw out one more suggestion. And this one runs counter to what I thought for years.

I like the NFFC format and the 13 week season. But the only negative to this is that teams may be out of contention on points fairly early in the season and they see no way of winning. With only 2 winning team in the online championship you can actually finish first in standings (tied for first anyways) and still not qualify for anything. So if you have a team that starts out slow and you do an amazing job on waivers and it starts coming on strong you can still end up out in the cold. And I do get that each time your barely miss there is another team that got in the playoffs by being on the other side of the rules so at the end of the day it's fair.

But here's my point. For people to keep coming back and playing in the NFFC they have to feel like they have a chance of winning. And if they are 150 points down in week 8 then the season is for the most part over. But if someone is 4-4 after 8 weeks and there are 4 playoff spots then they feel like there might be a chance. But the big point is that if they feel like that had a chance til the very end then they will come back. I know many people who no longer play nffc because they felt it was too tough. What I read in to those comments is that they weren't competing so they quit playing. There is a big difference between someone who is eliminated week 8 verses someone eliminated week 13. The person who loses the final week will feel the excitement of the possibility of having made it and want more next year.

So long story short, I think a little luck is good for everyone. I know the diehards want total points which is what the NFFC basically is now. But record keeps more teams alive for a longer period of time. And by having a better chance of getting in it makes for a better experience. So my thought is to try and cater to the masses a bit more and not neccessarily the guys who are drafting a ton of teams. I would not have said this 5 years ago but I can see the current system as being a detriment to player retention. Just something to consider.

Wayne

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:58 pm

ChiTwn wrote:
BillyWaz wrote:On a different note, I would like to see the high stakes leagues where 4 teams make the playoffs (auctions, Supers, Ultimates, etc.) where you currently have a consolation prize, have the consolation amount go to the 4TH PLACE TEAM.

Honestly, I would be onboard if there was no consolation bracket in the high stakes leagues. Have the prize go to 4th place.
There would be 8-10 teams in every league whose seasons would be over with after Week 13. Maybe that's okay for a lot of folks, but the Consolation Prize gives EVERY TEAM something to play for in Weeks 14-16. That's why it's there.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:33 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
ChiTwn wrote:

There would be 8-10 teams in every league whose seasons would be over with after Week 13. Maybe that's okay for a lot of folks, but the Consolation Prize gives EVERY TEAM something to play for in Weeks 14-16. That's why it's there.
I understand that in Main Events, it is important to keep more people active, but when you are ponying up $2,500, $5,000, $10,000 the best teams THROUGH 13 WEEKS should be rewarded. A 4th place team outperforms 8 other teams, outscores them in weeks 14-16, and they get nothing, while someone else gets some compensation?

A fellow NFFC'er brought up maybe that best record should allowed in the "final four" but not given any "regular season money". I like this idea a great deal. Put some of that towards 3rd and 4th place in the playoffs instead.

I mean think about the cutline......half the league is DONE after nine weeks. In the higher stakes leagues, I think most of the "big boys and girls" would be in favor of 4th place getting something.

Maybe put that to a vote to those who play in Supers (or higher)?

Coyote Streakers

Post by Coyote Streakers » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:43 pm

Lots of good discussion going on here. I will add my two cents. I feel pretty strongly about these.

Team kicker: Yes, there isn't a accurate way to scout kickers that aren't rostered on NFL teams. Its a total crap shoot if a kicker goes down and they replace him, do people really know who these obscure kickers will be? Team kicker is a great idea for DE's.

Less than 35 rounds: Yes, 35 is overkill

8 Hour clock: leave as is unless the autopick for 2 rounds is available, otherwise this would be difficult for some including myself.

Free Agents before week 1: No, let people suffer the consequences of bad picks and not reward them to replace before week 1. This rewards drafters who may have been unprepared.

Cutline: Sounds like a great idea to go to optimal lineup. The one thing I have encountered in the past with Cutlines is the FAAB is very extensive because of 10 teams and the gap in FAAB weeks, to me its almost more difficult than a every week FAAB, I am not advocating for that just an observation that the FAAB in cutline leagues can be very tricky with 20+ players in bid groups.

Thursday Players: Please allow Thursday players that aren't started to be available to drop and Thursday players who are on waiver wire available for pickup Friday. These players should be available for pickup imo as everyone is on level playing field and got to watch their performance. If for some reason we can drop Thursday players that weren't started disregard earlier comment.

Overall you guys do a great job and I appreciate letting us give feedback!

Sandman62

Post by Sandman62 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:42 am

Coyote Streakers wrote:Thursday Players: Please allow Thursday players that aren't started to be available to drop and Thursday players who are on waiver wire available for pickup Friday. These players should be available for pickup imo as everyone is on level playing field and got to watch their performance. If for some reason we can drop Thursday players that weren't started disregard earlier comment.
There's a difference: though everyone got to watch their performance, they were only on one fantasy team. So that team got to see one of their players play that week and can replace him before the Sunday games. So say that player got hurt in the Thursday game and that's why the owner wants to replace him. He gets to do that in this week's [Friday] waiver period, while everyone else - whose players get hurt on Sunday (the same week) - has to wait til next week.

For reference, here's the rule: (emphasis added)
10. Bidding Time Frame
Because of the NFL having Thursday Night Games every week this season, the NFFC will be hosting 2 FAAB periods each week. The first one will run every Wednesday after Week 1 at 10 pm ET, and a second FAAB period will run for unselected free agents from that week on Friday at 10 pm ET. Players dropped on Wednesday can’t be picked up on Friday and all NFL players competing in Thursday’s games can’t be picked up or waived on Friday. Those players are all LOCKED on Thursday and available in the next FAAB period on the following Wednesday.

TR

Post by TR » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Sandman62 wrote:
Coyote Streakers wrote:Thursday Players: Please allow Thursday players that aren't started to be available to drop and Thursday players who are on waiver wire available for pickup Friday. These players should be available for pickup imo as everyone is on level playing field and got to watch their performance. If for some reason we can drop Thursday players that weren't started disregard earlier comment.
There's a difference: though everyone got to watch their performance, they were only on one fantasy team. So that team got to see one of their players play that week and can replace him before the Sunday games. So say that player got hurt in the Thursday game and that's why the owner wants to replace him. He gets to do that in this week's [Friday] waiver period, while everyone else - whose players get hurt on Sunday (the same week) - has to wait til next week.

For reference, here's the rule: (emphasis added)
10. Bidding Time Frame
Because of the NFL having Thursday Night Games every week this season, the NFFC will be hosting 2 FAAB periods each week. The first one will run every Wednesday after Week 1 at 10 pm ET, and a second FAAB period will run for unselected free agents from that week on Friday at 10 pm ET. Players dropped on Wednesday can’t be picked up on Friday and all NFL players competing in Thursday’s games can’t be picked up or waived on Friday. Those players are all LOCKED on Thursday and available in the next FAAB period on the following Wednesday.
Very good point here...this is a good rule that should remain intact.

BLACKHAND

Post by BLACKHAND » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
ChiTwn wrote:

Who cares about the losers Bowl playoff team should get the money
THIS IS THE BUSINESS WE HAVE CHOSEN