Hurricane issues again

renman

Hurricane issues again

Post by renman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:05 am

I remember years ago when the first game of the season got cancelled for Houston due to a storm. I remember it turning into a big issue as some teams had the kicker or defense from that game and were not able to replace those players and had to take zero's. I recall a discussion popping up about the logic of opening up a faab before week one in the best interests of the game or fairness even if it "wasn't in the rules." Did that ever go anywhere? Now, with draft taking place as far back as July and all through early August obviously many injuries and unforeseen occurrences. Obviously another storm is now coming, a game might get cancelled and people may get stuck taking zero's. Just curious.

Greg Ambrosius

Re: Hurricane issues again

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:23 pm

renman wrote:I remember years ago when the first game of the season got cancelled for Houston due to a storm. I remember it turning into a big issue as some teams had the kicker or defense from that game and were not able to replace those players and had to take zero's. I recall a discussion popping up about the logic of opening up a faab before week one in the best interests of the game or fairness even if it "wasn't in the rules." Did that ever go anywhere? Now, with draft taking place as far back as July and all through early August obviously many injuries and unforeseen occurrences. Obviously another storm is now coming, a game might get cancelled and people may get stuck taking zero's. Just curious.
I've already stated that next year we will allow FAAB before Week 1. Not in place for this year, though.
Founder, National Fantasy Football Championship & National Fantasy Baseball Championship
Twitter: @GregAmbrosius

Rog

Post by Rog » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:23 am

those that only drafted 1 kicker or qbinvolved in this game or have a core of landry/djax or evans and parker are sure going to have some ugly week one lineups.

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:41 am

Glad I have Mike Evans, Bucs D, and Lambo at kicker in the Primetime. My fault on Lambo but sad I will take an auto loss week 1 due to this due to a rule that is being fixed next year. Really salty right now.

renman

Post by renman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:59 am

Coach JP wrote:Glad I have Mike Evans, Bucs D, and Lambo at kicker in the Primetime. My fault on Lambo but sad I will take an auto loss week 1 due to this due to a rule that is being fixed next year. Really salty right now.
Wow, that is brutal. I have always thought there could/should be contingencies for "what is in the best interests of the game" or what is most fair even if it "isn't in the rules." The rules cannot cover ever conceivable circumstance that might occur. Seems it would be easy enough to run a faab for people to make 1 dollar pick ups of defenses and kickers no one wanted given they weren't drafted. I can't imagine anyone would have an issue with that but maybe I am wrong. At least it is in place for the future.

Don Draper

Post by Don Draper » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:03 am

This sucks, although ensuring you have a backup when you draft starters from a Florida team was probably done by astute owners

Coach JP

Post by Coach JP » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:20 am

renman wrote:
Coach JP wrote:Glad I have Mike Evans, Bucs D, and Lambo at kicker in the Primetime. My fault on Lambo but sad I will take an auto loss week 1 due to this due to a rule that is being fixed next year. Really salty right now.
Wow, that is brutal. I have always thought there could/should be contingencies for "what is in the best interests of the game" or what is most fair even if it "isn't in the rules." The rules cannot cover ever conceivable circumstance that might occur. Seems it would be easy enough to run a faab for people to make 1 dollar pick ups of defenses and kickers no one wanted given they weren't drafted. I can't imagine anyone would have an issue with that but maybe I am wrong. At least it is in place for the future.
It's my own fault on the D/K thing since I chose to only draft one. Just stinks knowing if it happened next year I'd be bailed out. All part of the game.

renman

Post by renman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:25 am

Don Draper wrote:This sucks, although ensuring you have a backup when you draft starters from a Florida team was probably done by astute owners
I would be curious to meet an owner who drafted in July or early August who was astute enough to know the most powerful hurricane in a generation was going to hit south Florida on opening day. The good news is Evans, Winston, Parker, Ajayi, Martin owners will not have their players on bye later in the season during the run for the playoffs. Always a silver lining.