2014 Primetime Champion Profile - John Pausma

Tom Kessenich

2014 Primetime Champion Profile - John Pausma

Post by Tom Kessenich » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:04 am

By his own admission John Pausma is more of a “baseball guy” than a “football guy.” It’s not that he doesn’t love football but baseball is his passion. He makes no secret about that.

But in 2014, nobody in the NFFC did better in the Primetime than Pausma. For one year, football not only became Pausma’s passion, it helped him secure a treasured position in fantasy football immortality.

In 2014, Pausma was the NFFC’s Primetime champion.

“It felt awesome to win the title, Pausma said. “I also felt quite lucky. There were so many things that had to break the exact right way for the end result to happen the way it did. The NFFC is full of great owners and so many of them know their football way beyond what I did. I feel quite fortunate to end up on top given the level of competition.”

In what was the closest race in NFFC history, Pausma edged Robert Zarzycki by 0.79 points to win the $150,000 grand prize. Pausma’s Sept. 4th, 9 am PT Primetime team finished with the most points, but he needed a league playoff in Weeks 14-16 to win the league title and the $6,500 league prize.

Pausma entered Week 16 in 3rd place overall, more than 32 points behind the leader, Glenn Lowy. But Pausma scored 169.40 points in Week 16 (7th best) to pass Lowy and Zarzycki for the title. Pausma entered the NFFC Primetime Championship Round in 9th place after the regular season and then put up point totals of 204.05 (19th), 187.25 (2nd) and 169.40 (7th) for a winning total of 717.57.

It should also be noted that Pausma was our 2010 NFFC Online Championship winner, earning the $50,000 top prize that year. He becomes the first two-time national champion in the NFFC in different contests.

Pausma made history due in large part to two factors. The first was the Waiver Wire pickup of the year, landing Odell Beckham Jr. on Oct. 1.

“I spent $57 and the runner-up bid was $0,” he said. “Best over-spend ever.”

Indeed it was as Beckham topped 30 points in NFFC scoring in four of the final five games of the season, including a 43.3-point barrage in Week 15.

Despite Beckham’s heroics, Pausma needed some magic to happen in the season’s final game to emerge as a Primetime champion. Fortunately, one of the most incredible nights of his fantasy football life was about to take place.

“What a crazy last week,” he said. “With one week to go I was right there and still had a chance. Heading into the Monday night game (between Denver and Cincinnati) I was in the lead but Glenn Lowy’s team (in third place) had A.J. Green.

“What are the chances A.J. Green isn’t going to score at least six points? I suppose anything is possible but I am thinking there is little to shot at winning this thing.”

But then Pausma’s fantasy fortunes took a completely unexpected turn. On the first play of the game, Andy Dalton threw a Pick 6. More importantly for Pausma and Lowy, Green was injured on the play. While he remained in the game he was clearly injured and little more than a decoy finishing without a catch, putting an end to Lowy’s attempt to win the title.

“It was so crazy,” Pausma said. “I couldn’t believe it. Since it was so close we had to wait for the NFL to confirm the scoring and there were no significant scoring changes.

“Through it all I have to give credit to Glenn Lowy. He epitomizes classy. He had a whole bunch of things not go his way down the stretch and ended up being the very first one to congratulate me. Great guy.”

Pausma’s 2014 NFFC season began in an unlikely place – Las Vegas. The Tinley Park, Illinois resident typically drafts in Chicago. But last year he decided at the last minute to change things up a bit. So he contacted his friend and fellow NFFC competitor Jack Haan to see if he could bunk with Haan in Vegas.

That brought Pausma to Vegas for the first time in the NFFC. He also landed the No. 1 pick in his Primetime draft where he snared LeSean McCoy with the top selection. After that, though, the draft began to unfold in unexpected ways.

“Round 1 goes as planned but then all of my top wide receiver targets are off the board at 2:12,” Pausma said. “I was pretty high on Andre Ellington and the news about a possible injury pushed him down so I grabbed him at the end of Round 2 but that’s not really the start I wanted.

“Next come Third Round Reversal and I have to wait another 12 picks. Surprisingly Rob Gronkowski was still there. That was a gift. I took Gronk and LeVeon Bell at the 3-4 turn.

“Four picks into the draft and I have no wide receivers. I think to myself, ‘Real smart Pausma. Way to blow this one. Nice donation.’ In Rounds 5 through 7 I grabbed Jeremy Maclin, Brandin Cooks and Kelvin Benjamin to try and catch up some at the wide receiver position and in Round 9 I added Steve Smith. From Round 10 on all busts. I was horrible.”

The draft may not have unfolded quite the way Pausma had hoped but the Bell, Gronk combo proved to be lethal and put his team in strong contention as the season went along.

“In Week 8 Jack (Haan) said he thought my team had a chance to win the title,” Pausma said.

Haan’s words proved to be prophetic. Armed with the No. 1 running back and No. 1 tight end in fantasy and combined with Beckham’s sterling playoff run, Pausma emerged victorious and had cemented his place in fantasy football immortality.

The $150,000 grand prize was hard earned and befitting Pausma’s Midwestern background he put the money to practical use.

“I am pretty conservative so I saved most of it,” he said. “I gave some back to the NFBC, paid some college expenses, etc.”

The Wisconsin native remains a die-hard Packers fan despite living in Bears’ country and now a two-time NFFC national champion, Pausma is looking forward to the upcoming season and the opportunity to defend his title.

Before he does, though, he just has one shout-out he has to give to someone in Cincinnati.

“Andy Dalton, thanks for that horrible throw that led to A.J. Green getting popped,” he said.

With $150,000 on the line there may never be another Pick 6 that will prove to be so beneficial to John Pausma.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Coltsfan

Re: 2014 Champion Profile - John Pausma

Post by Coltsfan » Fri May 01, 2015 6:35 am

Great profile on John! He's one of the classiest guys around! I hear he's going for the trifecta this year!

Wayne

Glenneration X

Re: 2014 Champion Profile - John Pausma

Post by Glenneration X » Mon May 04, 2015 7:39 pm

Though we've corresponded through emails and texts in the past, I had my first opportunity to meet John this year in Las Vegas for the NFBC baseball drafts. He was as a nice a guy in person as he seemed to be when we were just emailing or texting, a true class act and a GREAT champion.

Oh and by the way, if a two-time football champion like Pausma is more of a "baseball guy", we that play on the NFBC side are in real trouble.

BigBlueNation

Re: 2014 Primetime Champion Profile - John Pausma

Post by BigBlueNation » Fri May 08, 2015 6:08 am

Totally agree with Wayne and Glenn. I met John a few years ago in Chicago. He's a great guy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable about all sports. Absolutely no surprise with his success in the fantasy sports world. If John has one drawback, he tends to hang around that Haan guy too much.... ;) 8-)

Congrats on a job well done, John
Bill Cleavenger
UK Wildcats...We don't rebuild, we "RELOAD"

COZ

Post by COZ » Sun May 10, 2015 1:51 pm

BigBlueNation wrote:Totally agree with Wayne and Glenn. I met John a few years ago in Chicago. He's a great guy to talk to and extremely knowledgeable about all sports. Absolutely no surprise with his success in the fantasy sports world. If John has one drawback, he tends to hang around that Haan guy too much.... ;) 8-)

Congrats on a job well done, John
Couldn't agree more. He's a silent assassin and a true gentleman. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Always enjoy competing against John and seeing him at the drafts. And to think as a "baseball" guy he just pulled down a Primetime Championship to go along with an OnLine Championship in football, all the while having the handicap of having Jack Haan in his ear. (JK, Jack. ;) ) Incredible.

COZ
COZ

ForLoveOfTheGame

Post by ForLoveOfTheGame » Thu May 14, 2015 10:46 am

I absolutely love running into John and Jack, if you haven't met them you definitely should take the time to! You won't find nicer guys in the contest! Big time congrats John! ONLY multiple grand prize winner (until I win 2 this year ;) )! You should get a trophy for that! See you in Vegas!

Sideline Sage

Post by Sideline Sage » Thu May 14, 2015 9:48 pm

So you bunked with Haan, took advice from Haan, admit to knowing baseball better and still won, now two big championships. That is a lot to overcome :D

Quite impressive, congrats.