changes for 2015

nails

changes for 2015

Post by nails » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:50 pm

- in addition to allowing free agent in the ancillary leagues through playoffs, I really think the below change would be good for the NFFC. at least In the primetime. My thing is when I pay 1500 to join a league, I want a few ways to win some money.. getting into championship tourney is fine, but that's really a lottery once your in.. my suggestion:

Primetime leagues:

award money to team best head to head like you do..
award money to the team with most points after week 13 like you do.

those two teams get into championship round automatically. if it's one team that has both then the team with next best points would get in.

that being said,

you should take best head to head, then the next 3 teams with most points and let them play out a playoff from weeks 14-16 for the league championship (award 1st 2nd and 3rd ) money prizes.

id rather do this above, and have a championship tournament for less money any day of the week.

you do it in the auction leagues and private leagues.. and just about every high stakes league out there does it this way.
I've looked back at this year, and the championship tourney is overrated and I'd rather be in line for 5k or 6k in a 3 week format then go up against 150 teams for one prize (the dropoff after 1st place is significant).

im a nffc loyalist. but I don't have 50k to invest like some of the other guys around do.. so I have to invest carefully in the leagues that give me the best chance to cash out and succeed in. I finished 4th in points in each of my primetime leagues this year.. that's really not horrible.. I had decent teams and could have caused a problem for the top 3 in a 3 week tourney easy.

I will have to say that im definitely going to continue to play in auction leagues here no doubt (as long as the free agent rule changes).. love those leagues and the guys I play with , but I can't invest in the other leagues with such a little window to cash in on .. why not keep classic the way they have it, and conform the primetime to the masses.

it's a suggestion.. not meant as anything more.. and the reason I love this league is that people will take the suggestions constructively and not personally. I really think a lot of people would probably agree with the above comments.

happy new years guys. Mike Weber. see you in vegas (this year i'll be in NY as well for labor day weekend for the auction events there.. so those of you in NY watch out!@

i'll also be in vegas the next week too. don't worry guys.. and I have the recipe for success now down pat in these auctions.. after this year.. I've broken the code (mathematically)! HAHA... hopefully I can apply this now..lol..
Bring it on .

BillyWaz

Re: changes for 2015

Post by BillyWaz » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:13 pm

nails wrote: im a nffc loyalist. but I don't have 50k to invest like some of the other guys around do.. so I have to invest carefully in the leagues that give me the best chance to cash out and succeed in. I finished 4th in points in each of my primetime leagues this year.. that's really not horrible.. I had decent teams and could have caused a problem for the top 3 in a 3 week tourney easy.
While I understand what you are saying here, Mike, be careful what you wish for.

You could easily be the guy who has a great team, gets the $3,000, and then get beat by the 3rd or 4th best team who barely eeked in and got on a hot run. I remember winning a 14 team Super in 2010 (I think), and at that time SIX teams made the 3 week sprint. The 6th best team went on a run, and finished 2nd, and the best team during the regular season (based on points) was VERY upset. It was brought up on the boards, and it has since been changed to 4 teams.

I can agree with 4 teams in a 14 team league (Classic), but honestly, if you can't be best record or points in 13 weeks in a 12 team league, you probably don't have any business playing for the championship league money IMO. Letting 4 teams in for the overall makes more sense in 14 teamers, than 12 teamers.....wouldn't you agree? Adding an additional team to the 3 week sprint for the overall for both the Classic and Primetime......that would be OK (as it is a crapshoot, and I agree that 1st and 2nd place overall is HUGE), but I honestly feel 3 is enough for both contests.

Just my 2 cents. :)

EDIT: Thinking more about this, I wouldn't want the NFFC to change their Main Events (Classic, Primetime) at all. I love the fact that once the championship round starts, there aren't 500-1000 teams to play against. The NFFC takes only the best 3 teams from their leagues, and I respect that. In a world where "everyone gets a trophy", the NFFC awards the best for their regular season efforts, and gives a realistic shot at the "big money" as well.

It sounds like you are more of an ancillary league guy, Mike, and I totally get that (I am as well.....but the Classic has been far too good to me to ever consider dumping Main Events :D ).
Last edited by BillyWaz on Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

chriseibl

Post by chriseibl » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:49 pm

Whatever pushes money towards the best team is what I'm for, which is why I like the current system. Though not always, it's far more likely to be that the team that was best for 13 weeks is better than the team that was best for 3 weeks later on.

It's definitely more painful from my perspective to dominate a regular season and come away with not much for it then it is for me to have a team on the outside looking in that could have done some damage over a 3 week stretch. There are also more different ways to win the regular season than there are the playoffs, where either ODB or LeVeon were seemingly on 90% of championship teams

I'm fine with what the majority want for free agency but would personally be against changing the private league free agency format.

- I enjoy the challenge of building deep teams and I like seeing the teams without depth get hurt in the playoff format.
- I really look forward to the break from free agency where I can just relax and watch football
- I enjoy the strategy around preparing yourself for the lack of playoff free agency.
- With only 4 teams competing for free agents, it makes it too important to finish the year with the most free agency dollars remaining, i.e. it becomes much easier to block opponents and bid the 2nd highest balance + $1 when the competition pool for free agents is so small . Admittedly, it's a selfish reason because I'm someone who prefers to spend early in the season given i'd much rather go for someone I can use over 13 weeks then for just a couple. I wouldn't say that it's unfair, I just know that it works against my strategy.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:25 pm

chriseibl wrote:Whatever pushes money towards the best team is what I'm for, which is why I like the current system. Though not always, it's far more likely to be that the team that was best for 13 weeks is better than the team that was best for 3 weeks later on.

It's definitely more painful from my perspective to dominate a regular season and come away with not much for it then it is for me to have a team on the outside looking in that could have done some damage over a 3 week stretch. There are also more different ways to win the regular season than there are the playoffs, where either ODB or LeVeon were seemingly on 90% of championship teams

I'm fine with what the majority want for free agency but would personally be against changing the private league free agency format.

- I enjoy the challenge of building deep teams and I like seeing the teams without depth get hurt in the playoff format.
- I really look forward to the break from free agency where I can just relax and watch football
- I enjoy the strategy around preparing yourself for the lack of playoff free agency.
- With only 4 teams competing for free agents, it makes it too important to finish the year with the most free agency dollars remaining, i.e. it becomes much easier to block opponents and bid the 2nd highest balance + $1 when the competition pool for free agents is so small . Admittedly, it's a selfish reason because I'm someone who prefers to spend early in the season given i'd much rather go for someone I can use over 13 weeks then for just a couple. I wouldn't say that it's unfair, I just know that it works against my strategy.
Good points. Has me rethinking the bidding in those leagues. Having had Cutler Mccoy and Stanton on team, it made me think it might be necessary but I think I can handle chalking it up to bad luck once in a while. Can equally help as much as hurt on flucky things, and like you said it is a relief not having to worry about it anymore. I think I can go either way on this issue. Very good point on the budgeting aspect as well.

Jersey Dawg

Post by Jersey Dawg » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:05 am

I like the current structure too and think free agency should cease prior to the playoffs even in private leagues. As noted above, there is a strategy to making sure you have the right mix of players to get you through the 3 week playoff period. Don't carry only 1 kicker unless you are willing to gamble he does not turn into Gould. When the playoffs start I want to sit back, set my best lineup and enjoy the games.

Pete

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:59 pm

Chris points about budgeting the money are very valid.

While I would still play in ancillary leagues if you allowed free agency to run into the playoffs, I would prefer that EVERYTHING shut off after week 13.

The more I thought about it, the more I just like keeping EVERYTHING consistent across the board.

Sideline Sage

Post by Sideline Sage » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:03 am

I agree with all the great points made by Chris, and definitely enjoy the break from free agency.

I do play in several leagues that continue free agency thru playoffs, and of course that requires a little different strategy so you can pick up the hot replacement player at the end of the season, and/or block other teams. But given a choice, I would rather build depth during the season and build your team for the 3 week playoff run.

As far as prime, I had a team in 3-way tie W/L, and third of the 3 in total points. It was a very tight league and would have loved to compete for the championship in a 3 week playoff. I would be in favor of adding a third team, with average score to start thus rewarding somewhat the leaders going in. With no free agent pickups, I believe the best team should win. Top 3 out of 12 is still fairly restrictive.

roger

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:20 pm

This change would have worked against me in 2012, so it's not sour grapes of any sort, but I think the Week 1-13 Scoring Average should have a larger weight in the Total Playoff score. As is, each Week 1-13 counts for only 7.7% of what Weeks 14-16 count. The contest becomes essentially a 3-week drag race at the end, the Week 1-13 score component is next to irrelevant, and as is the winning teams tend to have a lot of the same players who got hot in Weeks 14-16.

I think a much more representative playoff system would be a 50%/50% split of the Regular Season and Playoff Averages.
Regular Season Avg (Week 1-13) + Playoff Average (Week 14-16) = Total Score

Example:
Corsair (Doug Gard) had the top regular season point total in Primetime Playoffs (163.36 points per week).
Going Big (Lee Sparer) had the median regular season point total in Primetime Playoffs (149.05)
Hammer Time 14 (Glen Bickerstaff) had the worst regular season point total to make Primetime Playoffs (127.97).

Corsair averaged 148.7 in the playoffs, when added to his regular season would give him a Total Score of 312.06
Going Big struggled and averaged 108.55 in the playoffs, when added to his regular season would give him 257.60
Hammer Time went big in the playoffs and put up 176.03, for a Total Score of 304.00.

This setup actually wouldn't have changed any of the top 3 finishers this season, but where it did come into play is it makes it a little harder for the teams with bad Regular Season averages get all the way to the top of the pay ladder. Hammer Time finished 13th overall in the Primetime standings, but under a 50/50 setup, he would've only climbed up to 33rd, he would've needed to put up the 186.9 score of John Pausma's winning team to get up to the top 15 overall. Under the current setup, if he had matched Pausma's winning score for the playoffs, Hammer Time would've gone from dead last to 4th Overall in the final standings -- I think that devalues the Regular Season too much.

BillyWaz

Post by BillyWaz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:38 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:This change would have worked against me in 2012, so it's not sour grapes of any sort, but I think the Week 1-13 Scoring Average should have a larger weight in the Total Playoff score. As is, each Week 1-13 counts for only 7.7% of what Weeks 14-16 count. The contest becomes essentially a 3-week drag race at the end, the Week 1-13 score component is next to irrelevant, and as is the winning teams tend to have a lot of the same players who got hot in Weeks 14-16.

I think a much more representative playoff system would be a 50%/50% split of the Regular Season and Playoff Averages.
Regular Season Avg (Week 1-13) + Playoff Average (Week 14-16) = Total Score

Example:
Corsair (Doug Gard) had the top regular season point total in Primetime Playoffs (163.36 points per week).
Going Big (Lee Sparer) had the median regular season point total in Primetime Playoffs (149.05)
Hammer Time 14 (Glen Bickerstaff) had the worst regular season point total to make Primetime Playoffs (127.97).

Corsair averaged 148.7 in the playoffs, when added to his regular season would give him a Total Score of 312.06
Going Big struggled and averaged 108.55 in the playoffs, when added to his regular season would give him 257.60
Hammer Time went big in the playoffs and put up 176.03, for a Total Score of 304.00.

This setup actually wouldn't have changed any of the top 3 finishers this season, but where it did come into play is it makes it a little harder for the teams with bad Regular Season averages get all the way to the top of the pay ladder. Hammer Time finished 13th overall in the Primetime standings, but under a 50/50 setup, he would've only climbed up to 33rd, he would've needed to put up the 186.9 score of John Pausma's winning team to get up to the top 15 overall. Under the current setup, if he had matched Pausma's winning score for the playoffs, Hammer Time would've gone from dead last to 4th Overall in the final standings -- I think that devalues the Regular Season too much.
I agree 100% with this, and have actually beat the drum to give 2x the regular season average to start the season. I know the argument is that you get paid for a good regular season (and the NFFC does it as well as anyone), but you may as well just reset everyone to zero the way it is now.

I am a BIG fan of having the best regular season start with as big as an advantage as possible in the playoffs....after all, they did earn it.

nails

Post by nails » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:49 pm

as stated in auction leagues and private leagues, there is zero reason not to allow Free agency to continue on through playoffs.. makes no sense whatsoever.. you can plan and plan and plan, but why are you taking the skill from the regular season (which is probably 50% or more using free agency) out of the equation once you get to the playoffs? makes zero sense. your ssentially saying..

hey, you did a great job drafting, you did an awesome job using free agency to get 1st 2nd or 3rd or 4th place, ok, now we will give the winner out of the 4 top spots 15,000.00. but hey, the rules have now changed, and you can't pick up a player.. so now try and prepare for worse case scenarios however we are now adding a luck factor into who wins 15,000.00.

that is absurd. i'll use the super auction as example:

If you want to reward top 2 or 3 teams best record and most points with most of the prize pool for weeks 1 through 13 so be it, then give a decent prize to league winner for the rest so be it.. but what Is more impressive guys.. be real. is it going 11-2 (which is what I did 2nd in points in a 14 team auction league against the best fantasy football players in the country) or is it getting lucky in a 3 week tournament against 4 other teams from weeks 14- 16 using a squad you can't change , subjected to injuries you can't do anything about ? seriously. any logical human being would see that the regular season points leader and record leader deserve more money then the winner of the 3 week tournament after free agency stops and after it turns into a luck fest. im not crying here, I did win 9500.00 .. however if your going to run these types of leagues and reward most of the money in the 3 week playoffs, it should be on a level playing field allowing the top teams to do what they did to get to that point from day one (1).. that is to work the waiver wire each week. drafting is half the battle. your eliminating a skill factor from your leagues when you stop free agency. when you start eliminating skill you may as well play in multi million dollar tournaments in daily leagues if you want a lottery. I play in these leagues because I know I have a good chance at winning .. honestly I dont' care if they leave prime time leagues alone, there are other leagues out there ,I can play who run it the way I enjoy it.. however they have to change the private league set up and free agency.

when I brought this up earlier in month the top players in the country did agree with me on this point. you can't measure changing or not changing with opinions of people who don't play in these private leagues.. not to say everyone agrees with me, but I think most would (as for primetime, I don't know and dont' care too much).

I hope greg and tom seriously consider this one change.. even if it's just for the auction leagues.

Mike Weber.
Bring it on .