Week 13 Thoughts & Observations (Different Take)

Tom Kessenich

Week 13 Thoughts & Observations (Different Take)

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:14 am

Instead of my usual thoughts and observations column I am going to instead bitch about all the stupid things I did this week and all the bad luck that befell me in my top league. I encourage all of you to take the time to vent about anything and everything that drove you crazy this week. Given the importance of Week 13 and how just about everything in my top league went horribly wrong due to my own ineptitude I don't feel as if I'm qualified to comment on how the NFL games themselves were played.

I am, however, very good at bitching about stuff. So here we go:

I started Zach Mettenberger as my QB2 over Colt McCoy.

I started Trent Richardson as my RB3 (just kill me now)

I lowered my FAAB bid on Boom Herron preventing me from picking him up for this week.

I then moved Reggie Bush ahead of Tre Mason on my FA list behind Herron.

So yes that meant I got Bush instead of Mason.

Did Mason do well? I lost count after he kept scoring all the time.

Dez Bryant. Happy F'n Thanksgiving.

Seriously? How in God's name did the Cowboys implode THAT badly against THAT defense at home? How did Dez not get 20-30 points all by himself? The matchup could not have been nicer. It was a slam dunk for Dez to dominate. Instead ...

Ugh.

Delanie Walker had one more catch on Sunday than I did.

Andre Ellington had by far his best matchup in weeks. 20-25 points looked like a mortal lock. So of course he got hurt early and did nothing.

On the bright side I also started him in my biggest Daily lineup of the week. So that worked out doubly well for me.

Yeah, I think I'm done playing Daily now.

Remember how a few weeks ago I said Reggie Wayne was good at Old Man Football? I should've said he should be playing with old people, not playing in the NFL. So happy I started him as my WR4 on a day when Andrew Luck seemingly threw a touchdown pass to everyone wearing a Colts' jersey.

Everyone except Reggie, of course.

On a day when there were roughly 3,000 touchdowns scored I got a whopping one from someone other than a quarterback. And of course even the guy who scored (Marques Colston) also had two brutal drops that prevented him from having a better day.

On the bright side, I told everyone to start Harry Douglas and he came through with a 100-yard day.

Oh, did I forget to mention I didn't start him in a single league where I really could've used him?

So yeah I'm really dumb and I clearly suck at this game. If any of you feel the same way (about your teams, not agreeing with me that I suck although it's perfectly valid this week) vent away.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

JohnP

Re: Week 13 Thoughts & Observations (Different Take)

Post by JohnP » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:41 am

Tom Kessenich wrote: Andre Ellington had by far his best matchup in weeks. 20-25 points looked like a mortal lock. So of course he got hurt early and did nothing..
Is he still on your MVP list?

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:43 am

JohnP wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote: Andre Ellington had by far his best matchup in weeks. 20-25 points looked like a mortal lock. So of course he got hurt early and did nothing..
Is he still on your MVP list?
Given how putrid the offense looked without him? Yeah I think he's as important to any team as any player is in the NFL. The fact he got hurt and kicked me in the nads from a fantasy perspective doesn't change his level of importance to the Arizona offense. That team is going to struggle to win without Carson Palmer. I don't think they have a chance in hell of being a playoff team without Andre Ellington.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

renman

Post by renman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am

I once years ago tried to start a thread for venting. I thought it would and could be therapeutic for those who got stabbed in the heart by bad fantasy luck to see others also in pain. Maybe making them realize that without the pain, the games aren't worth playing. I am not sure anyone can compare with Toms rough weekend. Though I am interested to read others.

JETS SB

Post by JETS SB » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:19 am

On a day when Drew Brees (not owned) gets 5 TDs, Jimmy Graham doesn't even get one catch.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:30 am

JETS SB wrote:On a day when Drew Brees (not owned) gets 5 TDs, Jimmy Graham doesn't even get one catch.
Easily the most baffling thing that occurred. I don't know how Jimmy Graham doesn't get a single target for an entire game. How does that even happen? The fact Brees had a great day in spite of that makes it all the more remarkable. I played against someone who started Hoyer and Graham and he still crushed me.

Thanks DeAndre Hopkins.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

wiljiro

Post by wiljiro » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:47 pm

Here's a bad beat -

I should be happy - We have 3 Primetime Teams and two of them are first in points, one has won it's league outright - However - our third team will miss out on third place by .75

Miss out on $500

Miss out on a chance at the big money -

Big deal right? Happens all the time? This is is the life we have chosen? Etc? Wait - read on -

Two weeks ago we were stuck without a TE - Julius Thomas and Clay were both questionable - we went into the weekend assuming one of them would play - So we got a bagel for that position -

This week with the same issue we picked up Tamme - Same dude that dropped a TD pass last night - Same dude that scored .9 last week.... Which would have gotten us home.....

Stat change anyone??

uuuuuugh

Wiljiro
Magic Man
Last edited by wiljiro on Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ohhhhhhhhh, it's a PROFIT deal!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm clearly not cut out for the Daily game. In separate leagues on Fanduel I went with a cheap RB2 and hit on both (Herron in one; JStew in another). Got Rashad Jennings in a league and he did well. Brees and Ben were my QBs and both did well. Demaryius Thomas, Sanders, Cobb, Gordon were my receivers in the two leagues. Had Gronk at TE in one. Other than Ellington and Kelce I didn't have a single roster spot on two teams that underproduced in any meaningful way but I still will not win a penny and won't come close to cashing in either contest. I cashed last week and in a Thanksgiving only game but got crushed on Sunday.

Might just need to cash in my current winnings and retire from the Daily space.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

greenwichsttavern

Post by greenwichsttavern » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Tom- I realized yesterday that daily ff is just like playing the lotto, you put your players in and then hope for a miracle. I only play draftkings and yesterday put in two teams, one in the millionare maker and one in the king of beach. I'll check in to see how im doing once or twice but its an afterthought as I follow my highstakes teams throughout day cause thats my main focus. I realize that around the end of early games that all my players in lineups are going off, both with Lev Bell and Mason combos with Fleener at te and moncrief as my cheep wr so i check my scores to see a 252pts for one and a 240 on the other and think i might be in hunt for a mill and a seat in the King of beach Atlantis trip only to see the leaders have a 303 and a 289 in each event and im not even close !!! its like the lotto, you need every right number to hit big but you get some small change if you hit on most. Who knew the winning lotto combo yesterday would be Fitzpatrick and Hopkins ????

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:52 pm

greenwichsttavern wrote:Tom- I realized yesterday that daily ff is just like playing the lotto, you put your players in and then hope for a miracle.
For me, it has a bit of a feel to an 8-team league where everybody is starting superstars so if their superstar (like Calvin) is better than yours (like Jordy) they win even though you're fielding a damn good team. So putting together a strong team isn't enough which stinks. You then have to try to find the crazy "Get the F outta here" guys like Fitzpatrick and hope your crazy "Get the F outta here" guy (like Fitz) is better than theirs (like Mettenberger).

I can see the lotto appeal that you mention Chris. There's also the instant gratification if you do well. Conversely there's the instant kick in the groin if you don't.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich